In all of the weddings I’ve photographed, the most stressful situations for everyone involved, by far, were the ones where the couple decided not to hire a wedding planner or a wedding coordinator (yes, those are two different things, but that’s information for another post). Couples who tend to be organized in real life often feel that they have it together enough to not need a coordinator, but I’m here to disagree!
There are so many reasons to hire a wedding coordinator or planner to help you with your wedding. Most coordinators have multiple levels of service from month-of coordination to the whole shebang. The beautiful thing about is, you can choose the level of service that works for you and your wedding and doing so will ensure your day runs smoothly and that you, your honey, your family, your guests, and your vendors are happy and cared for.
Here are 5 good reasons why you should hire a coordinator or planner for your wedding:
1. Planning a wedding takes time. Lots of time. Way more time than you’d think. The fact is, until you start planning your day, it’s impossible to fathom just how much work is involved. And what with work and life, you may not have a whole lot of time or energy to spare. If you don’t want to be drowning in to-do lists during the duration of your engagement, hiring a planner to take over some of the tasks for you can be a real life (and time) saver.
2. A coordinator or planner can save you money. One of the main reasons couples give for not hiring a coordinator or planner is that they cost money. But the truth is, coordinators know how much wedding services cost and can save you from overpaying for certain things. They have created budgets for a countless number of weddings and know all kinds of vendors and can really help find you the best vendor to fit your needs and budget. So, in the long run, don’t be surprised if your coordinator or planner helps pay for themselves.
3. Planning a wedding isn’t always fun. I kind of hated planning my wedding. I was happy to be engaged and really looking forward to marrying my husband, but there wasn’t a week that went by where the stress involved in making decisions and working out details didn’t cause me to throw my hands up in the air and say, “forget this, let’s elope!” If you’re guessing that I didn’t hire a planner, you would be correct. Do as I say and not as I do! Your planner or coordinator can take the mundane and not fun tasks off your hands, or at least make them easier to handle. And the best part is, you get to choose what you want your planner to handle for you, so you don’t have to get up creative control or not take part in the fun stuff.
4. Choosing the right vendors is hard. Not all wedding vendors are created equal. And trying to compare them by a factor like pricing isn’t going to help you much. You can do hours of research and meet with tons of different vendors, but the fact is you don’t know what you’re going to get until your wedding is over and done with. But planners and coordinators have worked with tons of different vendors on several different occasions so they have a very accurate sense of which vendors are going to be a good fit for your vision, are easy to communicate with and, above all, are reliable and good at what they do.
5. On your wedding day, you shouldn’t have to worry about anything but enjoying it. Even if you chose to ignore every other point that I’ve made above, don’t ignore this one. Your wedding day is about you and your beloved. It is the ONE day in life that you should expect and demand that you don’t have a worry or care in the world. I can promise you that if you choose to not hire a coordinator or planner for your wedding day, the chances of you going through the day stress free or slim to none. And, for me, that’s reason enough.